Tuesday 7 January 2014

Arcot Pond 5/1/2014


First of all, happy new year to anyone who happens upon this blog and all the best for 2014.
My first spot of birding in 2014 and it was at I suppose my local patch, Arcot Pond in Cramlington. Always been compelled by this site since my childhood.
First impressions once I reached the waterside was the fact that the pond was more of an ice rink albeit a one I wouldn't recommend ice skating on. About 60% of the waters surface was covered in a layer of thin ice. 
The ice was covered in Black Headed Gulls constantly being bossed around by a few cheeky Carrion Crows. A large flock of Teal was acting very spooked towards the back of the pond, taking flight every few minutes. I couldn't work out what had them shaken, was kinda hoping a bird of prey would make a nice flyby appearance or dare I say do some hunting.
A melted open pool of water in the middle held feeding Coot, Wigeon, Mallard and Mute Swan.
I took a walk towards the dead trees at the left (creepy) side of the pond. Always loved that part of the pond, used to spook me as a boy. A few fresh waters mussels littered the mossy shoreline, unfortunately it was quiet and nothing but a male and female Mallard was seen. Over in the woods I could the raucous call of a Grey Heron.
After another check over the main part of pond, and seeing nothing new I headed through he gate and into the meadow area. 
After being drawn to a Wren in the scrub I heard a loud rustling and before I could grab the camera three large Roe Deer sprung out undergrowth. I was loving this! They were so close, I tried to follow them but they had run off through the bulrushes and I stood no chance. I did spot two brilliant male Bull Finches though! What a beautiful pair of birds! 
All in all a great way to spend 90 minutes.
Let's see what the rest of 2014 has in store for Arcot Pond. 


2 comments:

  1. Quite embarrassed to say I've never visited Arcot, not that far away so really should!

    Looks decent! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah check it out, mind it's very hit or miss! I went tonight and it was pretty much dead!

      Delete