Monday 17 February 2014

Cresswell 17/2/2014

Well the original plan today was to finish work and head to a local hot spot for owls, but with the rain pouring down I decided to make a trip to cresswell pond.  What with it only being a 10 minute drive from work and supporting a hide to keep dry in, it seemed like a good idea.
In the bushes on the path to the hide I seen Tree Sparrows (my first of 2014) and a little Dunnock skitting about in the undergrowth!
Once inside the hide I couldn't believe how low the water was and just how many birds where gathered!! 

Lapwing, Mallard, Wigeon, Teal Moorhen were all in abundance. With the Lapwing making the place feel like a rock gig with the noise volume. 
A few Grey Heron were scattered about, no sign of the reported otters though.
Little Grebe and Red-Breasted Merganser fed close to shore. On the far shore I could see Shelduck and geese, however due to quickly disintegrating light conditions I couldn't identify the geese. 
The cherry on top was my first ever sighting of a Water Rail, in a break between reeds in front of the hide! Seeing that was a great buzz. Such a secretive, dainty bird. 
Just before I left a flock of roughly 30 Whooper Swan came into land on the pond. 
Not bad for a 45 minute birdwatch after work! Nice way to wind down after a long day!
(Apologies for the awful pics) 


No comments:

Post a Comment