Monday 9 February 2015

Cheat Day


Yesterday, as the light faded and day turned to night I finally had my first Barn Owl of 2015. I was on one of my local patches and it appeared from a plantation to the west and flew at times within 30 feet. Unfortunately it didn't hang around for much more then five minutes and the lighting wasn't great for photography (understatement) but I did manage a few shots. 
Safe to say these are the best of a truly bad bunch;
So after the excitement of the Barn Owl sighting I wanted a quick fix today, a cheat day if you will. So I drove up the coast and visited a regular Little Owl haunt and as ever noticed the yellow eyed phantom glaring at me from his perch. After a few minutes in his company I headed back towards home and visited one my local Little Owl pairs. 
Only one bird was seen out of the two, buts thats the norm in all honesty at this location.
All in all a relatively straight forward morning and if anything a little bit of a cheat, I do spend a lot of my spare time looking for fresh Owl roosts and hotspots so a cheat day is okay every once in a while.
Tomorrow I'm hoping for the full five species in one day.........wish me luck!

David
Nature North East/ The Northern Owl Project

"Is he back again?!"


No comments:

Post a Comment