Thursday 26 February 2015

Prestwick Carr; 25th February



Prestwick Carr was on the agenda for birding today, situated a ten minute drive west of Cramlington and a stones throw from Newcastle Airport, its an area of rough grassland, country lanes and scattered plantations of scrub. 
I parked up at the eastern entrance of the bumpy road, and walked westward along the lane. The hedges were full of songbird activity, particularly around the feeding stations which have been put up. 
In one of the fields to the south I spotted a bird perched on the very highest branch of a hawthorn bush, looking very shrike like. I believe it was a Great Grey Shrike, but because it was so far away and I didn't have my telescope I wouldn't want to assume it incase it wasn't.
Around the platform a mixed flock of Reed Bunting & Yellowhammer flew through the hedge lines and picked at the seed below the feeders whilst North of Mayfair Cottage a pair of Buzzards were calling and soaring overhead.

Male Chaffinch
A complete species list of the birds I seen on my jaunt around Prestwick Carr can be found below.


  • Kestrel
  • Buzzard
  • Reed Bunting
  • Yellowhammer
  • Great Tit
  • Blue Tit
  • Coal Tit
  • Willow Tit
  • Robin 
  • Dunnock
  • Chaffinch
  • Goldcrest
  • Blackbird
  • Great Spotted Woodpecker
  • Wren
  • Teal
  • Lapwing
  • + 2 Roe Deer


Little Bit Of Bread....No Cheese !

No comments:

Post a Comment